Full-Time Family Medicine Physician
Health disparities among New Yorkers are large, persistent and increasing. Public Health Solutions (PHS) exists to change that trajectory, and support vulnerable New York City families in achieving optimal health and building pathways to reach their potential.
As the largest public health nonprofit serving New York City, we improve health outcomes and help communities thrive by providing services directly to vulnerable low-income families, supporting community-based organizations through our long-standing public-private partnerships, and bridging the gap between healthcare and community services. We focus on a wide range of public health issues including food and nutrition, health insurance, maternal and child health, sexual and reproductive health, tobacco control, and HIV/AIDS. To learn more about our work, please visit healthsolutions.org.
As a licensed Article 28 health care provider, Public Health Solutions’ Sexual and Reproductive Health Centers provide affordable, comprehensive, and confidential sexual and reproductive healthcare to more than 4,000 women, men, and adolescents each year. These centers offer a complete range of services, including free walk-in pregnancy testing, gynecological exams, prenatal care, birth control (including IUDs and implants), Plan B (morning after pill), men’s sexual healthcare, teens’ sexual healthcare, STI testing and treatment, HIV testing and counseling, Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP), mental health services, and health education. In 2018, both PHS Fort Greene and PHS Eastern Parkway centers were recognized by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) as a Level-III Patient-Centered Specialty Practice—the highest level of recognition. Our strategic vision is to begin offering onsite primary care to our patients and the communities we serve in 2020.
We are looking for a full-time certified Family Medicine Physician who will serve as Medical Director for our new primary care scope of service. Besides clinical responsibilities, the Family Medicine Physician will be responsible for assisting with the development and implementation of new primary care clinical policies and procedures, quality improvement activities related to primary care and supporting the supervision of women’s health nurse practitioners. Overall, the right candidate will have a passion for supporting new clinical initiatives and will work collaboratively with our PHS operations team to integrate primary care within our current practice. Clinical responsibilities include providing primary care to men, women and adolescents, including the full spectrum of sexual and reproductive health care at our PHS Fort Greene and PHS Brownsville centers and will provide healthcare services that meet state and national standards for caregiving. They will be responsible for prescribing patients with appropriate medication, health regimens and lifestyle adjustments that will contribute to their recovery from diagnosed health issues, prevent future health issues and/or promote a healthier life.
- Work with the PHS clinical team to provide patients with primary medical care services within the standard of care for Internal Medicine patients.
- Work with the PHS administrative team to develop, test and implement the systems and support necessary for successful primary care service delivery within PHS Sexual and Reproductive Health Centers.
- Order laboratory and radiology tests and refer patients to specialists when appropriate and called for.
- Analyze reports, test results, medical records and examinations to diagnose conditions of patients and propose treatment options.
- Prescribe pharmaceuticals, other medications, and treatment regimens to treat identified and documented medical conditions.
- Discuss potential side effects of medication/treatment with patients and ensure that all allergy information is up to date before prescribing medication/treatment.
- Provide advice to patients for lifestyle and diet changes that may improve their health or help to treat the health issue they are experiencing.
- Adhere to departmental policies, procedures and objectives, ongoing quality improvement objectives and safety, environmental, and infection control standards.
- Maintain patient confidentiality and comply with all federal and state health information privacy laws.
- Record complete, timely and legible medical records.
- Experience providing primary care and diagnostic services in a clinical setting.
- Experience prescribing appropriate medications, treatments and health regimens to treat patient health issues.
- Experience collaborating with specialists to explore patient health conditions and diagnose health issues.
- Experience working in a team of healthcare professionals and collaborating with them to ensure positive, effective patient experiences with our organization.
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills.
- We are looking for a candidate with experience in a Family Medicine role outside of their residency and who has the following certifications:
- D. or D. O. degree from an accredited United States medical school.
- Successful completion of residency and at an accredited healthcare institution.
- Board certification in Family Medicine related field from said residency.
- Current State Medical Practitioner License.
- Current Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) and Department of Public Safety (DPS) registration, for prescription writing.
To apply, please follow link below:
PHS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals, and veterans.