Please login/register to apply for this job.
12 Feb 2020
Full-Time Field Staff RN (Marion, IL)
- The Staff Registered Nurse is responsible for assessing the patient/family/caregiver needs, planning for the care, implementing the Plan of Care, and evaluating the effectiveness of the care provided. As a member of the IDT, the Staff Registered Nurse/Case Manager oversees the direction and coordination of a patient’s care throughout their time in hospice.
- Full-Time Non-Exempt Position
- 40 Hours Weekly, Monday-Friday 8:30 A.M. – 5:00 P.M. with an additional rotational on-call schedule that includes some evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Would be based out of our Marion office and would provide service to the following areas: East of Route 57 all the way to Illinois border and from Carmi to Metropolis and all the towns in between.
- For further information and to apply online, please visit www.hospice.org/careers.
- Graduate of State-approved school of nursing
- Associate Degree in Nursing or Diploma in Nursing required.
- One (1) year experience in hospice preferred.
- Other Qualifications
- Current Illinois nursing license. (Registered Nurse, RN)
- Certification in hospice and palliative care preferred.
- CPR certification preferred.
- Excellent leadership, managerial ability, clinical assessment, organizational and interpersonal relationship skills.
- A working knowledge of Medicare/Medicaid, hospice regulations, and third-party payor expectations.
- Reliable means of transportation.
- Maintains a caseload of patients. Oversees the direction and coordination of the patient’s care and the care provided for their caregiver/family.
- Provides direct patient care that includes all aspects of the nursing process.
- Demonstrates basic registered nurse clinical skills. Gives a practical exhibition and explanation at the required annual skills day.
- On each visit completes a physical assessment, medication review, and a symptom and pain evaluation. Communicates findings to the hospice physician and obtains orders to manage care.
- Communicates pertinent information to all disciplines by communicator, telephone, TigerText, and at the IDT meeting.
- Reviews and updates the Plan of Care (POC) on each visit.
- Responsible for initiating the Hospice Aide (HA) POC and supervising visits at least every 14 days per Medicare regulation.
- Knowledgeable in patterns of disease progression at end of life and provides ongoing patient/family/caregiver education.
- Knowledgeable in principles of end of life pain and symptom management. Considers patient/family/caregiver stated values and goals when considering treatment options ensuring their patients are as pain-free and symptom-free as possible.
- Identifies the physical, psychosocial, emotional, and spiritual needs related to the terminal illness. Collaborates with IDT to meet those needs.
- Documents the elements of each assessment in a systematic and timely manner according to the Policies and Standards of Performance.
- Oversees the activity of the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) as they provide patient care.
- Participate in on-call after-hour care. In the on-call role, the Staff Registered Nurse/Case Manager triages calls and demonstrates critical thinking skills as they prioritize and address each situation.
- In an emergency/crisis event, the Staff Registered Nurse/Case Manager demonstrates the ability to take control of a situation, understands and prioritizes care needs, and executes a plan quickly.
- Provides emotional, spiritual, and psychosocial support to patients/family/caregivers. Establishes a therapeutic relationship with the patient/family/caregiver.
- At the IDT meeting, at least every 15 days, the Staff Registered Nurse/Case Manager shares new information concerning the patient’s disease progression, discuss how to further improve the patient’s quality of life and comfort, and ensures that the care plan is consistent with the patient’s end of life core wishes.
- Demonstrates the ability to work cooperatively with others in a team environment to ensure deadlines, goals, and objectives are met.
- Demonstrates the ability to embrace change, manage stress and maintain a positive attitude.
- Builds relationships and collaborates effectively with internal and external customers while cultivating referrals and referral sources. Identifies and analyzes problems in the referral/admission process and offers solutions for better customer service and satisfaction. Participates in QAPI activities.
- Organized and works efficiently with minimal supervision. Is a self-starter who demonstrates flexibility, motivation, initiative, and commitment.
- Identifies and contributes to the development of new ideas and approaches to improve the work process.
- Exemplifies Hospice of Southern Illinois core values in daily practice.
- Appropriately manages Paid Time Off.
- Timely and accurate timesheet documentation according to Policy and Standards of Performance.
- Other duties as assigned.