Freelance Hiring Now: Hospice Nurse
We are seeking RNs that can plan, organize and direct hospice care and is experienced in nursing, with emphasis on community health education/experience. The professional nurse builds from the resources of the community to plan and direct services to meet the needs of individual and families within their homes and communities.
- Must have experience working with patients with tracheostomies and ventilators
- Must have the ability to manage nursing care plans, educate patient and family on appropriate treatment to assist in improving and/or maintaining health
- Assist in maintaining a safe work environment and perform all job responsibilities in a safe manner
- Administer medications within scope of practice
- Report changes in a patients condition promptly and appropriately to the physician/appropriate individual
- Appropriately complete documentation for patient care
- Mobilize resources during a crisis
- Act as liaison between the physician, staff and patient/family by communicating with family members/physicians regarding specific patient needs, complexities or unusual findings to promote continuity of care
- Must be flexible and have the ability to adapt to changes in work environment
Job Responsibilities of RN:
- Completes an initial, comprehensive and ongoing comprehensive assessment of patient and family to determine hospice needs. Provides a complete physical assessment and history of current and previous illness(es).
- Provides professional nursing care by utilizing all elements of nursing process.
- Assesses and evaluates patient’s status by:
- Writing and initiating plan of care
- Regularly re-evaluating patient and family/caregiver needs
- Participating in revising the plan of care as necessary
- Initiates the plan of care and makes necessary revisions as patient status and needs change.
- Uses health assessment data to determine nursing diagnosis.
- Develops a care plan that establishes goals, based on nursing diagnosis and incorporates palliative nursing actions. Includes the patient and the family in the planning process.
- Initiates appropriate preventive and rehabilitative nursing procedures. Administers medications and treatments as prescribed by the physician in the physician’s plan of care.
- Counsels the patient and family in meeting nursing and related needs.
- Provides health care instructions to the patient as appropriate per assessment and plan.
- Assists the patient with the activities of daily living and facilitates the patient’s efforts toward self-sufficiency and optional comfort care.
- Acts as Case Manager when assigned by Clinical Supervisor and assumes responsibility to coordinate patient care for assigned caseload.
- Completes, maintains and submits accurate and relevant clinical notes regarding patient’s condition and care given. Records pain/symptom management changes/outcomes as appropriate.
- Communicates with the physician regarding the patient’s needs and reports changes in the patient’s condition; obtains/receives physicians’ orders as required.
- Communicates with community health related persons to coordinate the care plan.
- Teaches the patient and family/caregiver self-care techniques as appropriate. Provides medication, diet and other instructions as ordered by the physician and recognizes and utilizes opportunities for health counseling with patients and families/caregivers. Works in concert with the interdisciplinary group.
- Provides and maintains a safe environment for the patient.
- Assists the patient and family/caregiver and other team members in providing continuity of care.
- Works in cooperation with the family/caregiver and hospice interdisciplinary group to meet the emotional needs of the patient and family/caregiver.
- Attends interdisciplinary group meetings.
- Participates in on-call duties as defined by the on-call policy.
- Ensures that arrangements for equipment and other necessary items and services are available.
- Supervises ancillary personnel and delegates responsibilities when required.
- Assumes responsibility for personal growth and development and maintains and upgrades professional knowledge and practice skills through attendance and participation in continuing education and inservice classes.
- Fulfills the obligation of requested and/or accepted case assignments.
- Actively participates in quality assessment performance improvement teams and activities.
- Prolonged or considerable walking or standing. Able to lift, position and/or transfer patients. Able to lift supplies and equipment. Considerable reaching, stooping bending, kneeling and/or crouching. Visual acuity and hearing to perform required nursing skills.
- Responsible for supervising hospice aides.
Job Type: Per Diem
Required Education: Graduate from an accredited school of professional nursing
Required license or certification:
- Current California RN License
- Current BLS Certificate
- Current ACLS Preferred
- Registered nurses shall have a minimum of (a) one (1) year of experience as a professional nurse within the last three (3) years; OR have a baccalaureate degree in nursing from a program accredited by the National League of Nursing and a current RN license. Minimum of two (2) years’ experience, at least one of which is in the area of public health, home care, or hospice nursing is preferred.
- Must be a licensed driver with an automobile that is insured in accordance with state/or organization requirements and is in good working order.
Locations: Marysville, Yuba County, Sutter County, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, San Diego, La Jolla, Orange County