Full-Time Medical Records Specialist
Under the direction of the Supervisor, Customer Service, the Medical Records Specialist is responsible for maintaining and securing all written and electronic medical records, managing disclosure and record release as well as representing LifeWays as the custodian of the record in any subpoenas for records. They also ensure that information contained in the records is complete, accurate, and only available to authorized personnel. The medical records specialist organizes and maintains health information both in paper files and in electronic systems, checking data for accuracy, recording information, and keeps file folders and electronic databases up to date. They must also follow best practices for security and patient confidentiality, including Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and 42 CFR Part 2 guidelines.
- Communicate with requester regarding costs and fees associated with the request.
- Prepares invoices and collects payment for medical records requests (if applicable)
- Completes medical record by reviewing information, notifying health care supervisor of record deficiencies.
- Resolves medical record discrepancies by collecting and analyzing information.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects clinical operations by keeping information confidential, following release-of-information protocols.
- Performs data entry functions utilizing company tracking application to log monitor and complete requests for information.
- Provides routine service to customers regarding release of information requests and the retrieval and delivery of protected health information and materials on-site at facilities.
- Reviews records prior to releasing to the consumer and redacts information that could be considered harmful as permitted.
- Reviews records with consumers upon request and assisting consumer to add statements within the record upon their request. The medical records specialist is the person who has been designated responsible for the care, custody, and control of the health record for LifeWays.
- Manages the document disclosure que per HIPPA and 42 CFR Part 2
- Appropriately and accurately pulls records for patient care, quality review, and audits in a timely manner.
- Observe confidentiality and safeguards all patient related information.
- Responsible for reviewing, approving, and coordinating the release of medical information to individuals or agencies that have a proper executed Release of Information on file.
- Responsible for processing of subpoenas and court orders, at the direction of the Corporate Compliance/Risk Manager.
- Responsible for receiving and reviewing all subpoenas for records and follow procedures regarding responses to subpoenas.
- Responsible for receiving and responding to all court orders for medical records. This includes but is not limited to:
- (a) contacting the court for clarification on what is needed.
- (b) representing LifeWays in court as the custodian of the record
- Fulfills release of information requests in an accurate and detail-oriented manner within timeframes established by LifeWays.
- Maintains medical records operations by following policies and procedures; reporting needed changes.
- Processes medical records requests from patients, attorneys, physician’s offices, hospitals, disability firms, etc.
- Ensure that all requests for records are stamped with date received and logged in the Electronic Medical Records EMR) /Electronic Health Record (EHR).
- Notifies requester when records are available or mail when available
- Maintains a good working relationship within the department and other departments.
- Provides excellent customer service.
- Performs other clerical duties as needed.
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Associate degree in Health Information Management, or related field.
- Registered Health Information Technician certification.
- Mental Health First Aid Training, upon hire.
- Must have reliable transportation
- Bachelor’s degree Health Information Management or related field.
- Registered Health Information Administrator certification.
- CPR, AED, and First Aid Training.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.