Part-Time Saturday-Only Dental Assistant
POSITION TITLE: Dental Assistant
REPORTS TO: Dentist
The Dental Assistant performs duties such as: prepare the patient for the treatment, assist the dentist in performing treatment for the patient in restorative dentistry or oral surgery, prepare materials and equipment for treatment and have them ready for the dentist’s use, take x-rays and assist the dentist in laboratory work. May perform other related work to include, but not limited to, making appointments, answer the phone, ordering supplies and doing the dental billing.
- Greets patients in waiting area and escorts patients to vitalling area to record patient’s vital signs.
- Assists the dentist in the administration of treatment at the chair side as required or directed by the dentist.
- Promotes an atmosphere supportive of good dental and general health by demonstrating good oral hygiene, questioning patients to ascertain home care status, instructing patients in techniques of flossing and brushing in accordance with protocol.
- Maintain a sterile and neat working environment according to current infection control procedures.
- Review the health history, make chart entries under the direction of the operator and assure completion of forms and signatures.
- Assume the responsibility associated with any expanded duties that may be delegated by the dentist.
- Familiar the patient with the aspects of their dental visit and provide support and compassion to that patient when it is needed.
- Stock operatories and maintain clinical supply inventory.
- Review daily schedule to set up appropriate trays and instruments.
- Assist in front office procedures if time allows or need is determined by the Associate Dental Director or Dentist.
- Supervise preventive maintenance of dental equipment.
- Serves as supply liaison. Communicates with purchasing department and vendors to assure prompt receipt of all orders.
- May perform the following procedures:
- Size stainless steel crowns, temporary crowns and bands.
- Placement of post-extraction and periodontal dressings.
- Coronal polishing.
- Promotes and believes in NHSI mission statement “Health for All”.
- Ability to relate to the public regardless of ethnic, religion and economic status.
- High school graduate (or GED).
- Fluent in spoken and written Spanish.
- Proof of completing radiation safety course.
- One year experience as a dental assistant.
- Certificate for coronal polishing recommended.
- Demonstrate knowledge of dental health education subjects.
- Ability to complete forms in an orderly and accurate fashion.
- Able to use sound judgment. Possess a calm disposition and the ability to work easily with people.
- Familiar with computer based dental recording and charting.
- Proficient at digital radiographs.