Part-Time Substitute Life Skills Specialist
Continuum of Colorado is seeking enthusiastic people who are committed to providing excellent customer service and supports to adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities! The Substitute Life Skills Specialist (LSS) position is a rewarding position where you get to interact with a variety of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities while being responsible for supervision, training, program/care plan implementation, assessment and documentation for those served in Comprehensive Services.
The Substitute Life Skills Specialist requires schedule flexibility; a willingness to work at various Developmental Pathways residential facilities; and a reliable means of transportation to the facilities. Facilities are located in the Denver, CO metro area – Aurora, Centennial/Littleton, and Parker. This is a non-benefitted position.
Schedule: Must be willing to work a minimum of 36 hours per month with a maximum of 40 hours per week. Shifts can include covering 2.5 day shifts or a Day Program shift with varying hours. Potential opportunity to transfer to full-time, benefitted position if available. Please note: transfers are not automatic and are subject to current staffing needs, availability, etc.
Training: Must be able to complete all Agency trainings at their scheduled times prior to working in facilities. Training is a minimum of 3 weeks: Monday – Thursday, 8am – 6 pm.
What You’ll Get To Do!
• Train, assure and/or assist participants in completing daily activities and other tasks (cleaning, toileting, meal preparation, meal pick-up and delivery, cooking, budgeting, hygiene etc.) as assigned.
• Meet participant’s needs for transportation as assigned (may include driving or assisting in accessing transportation).
• Implement and document participant ISSPs, care plans and/or protocols.
• Carry out scheduled community activities as assigned (transports, provides supervision).
• Assist with medications (i.e., administration, pill packing, monitoring) as certified, and documents as appropriate.
• Monitor health needs of participants and assists in obtaining health care as needed.
• Provide medical care in accordance with established protocols, to include First Aid/CPR when needed.
• Document program, incident, medical and financial information as required.
• Able to utilize web-based computer programs to document medication administrations and document performance on organizations web-based performance evaluation.
Must Have’s To Be Our Substitute Life Skills Specialist!
• High school diploma or GED.
• Prefer one year experience in an area directly related to job assignment (i.e., developmental disabilities, elderly etc.)
• Ability to pass and maintain certification in all agency required training.
• Ability to perform needed personal care and medical procedures.
• Ability to use crisis intervention techniques as trained by Agency and as directed by the participant’s plan where applicable.
• Ability to operate a wheelchair appropriately and assist with non-ambulatory participants including transfers.
• Ability to read, write and converse in English and perform simple math calculations for purposes of carrying out job assignments.
• Ability to perform basic food preparation as applicable.
• Ability to meet physical demands of the position.
• Ability to consistently lift up to 50 pounds.
• Must be familiar with Microsoft Office and be able to use these programs at an intermediate level; ability to use Outlook to communicate through emails.
The Other Stuff You Need
• Personal vehicle in good operating condition for use during work, where applicable.
• Valid Colorado motor vehicle license.
• Proof of motor vehicle insurance.
• Meet agency driving requirements and operate agency and personal vehicle.
* Candidates must attach their Motor Vehicle Records (MVR) for all states in which they were licensed in the past 3 years to their online application in order to demonstrate meeting the necessary driving requirements and advance your application packet. If you are waiting to receive your MVR from the DMV, you may apply now and then attach the MVR to your application when you receive it.
What are our agency driving requirements?
- Show three (3) current, consecutive years of driving history.
- No suspensions or revocations during that period for any reason.
- No serious violations in the past three (3) years.
- No more than two moving violations in the past three (3) years.
For more information about Colorado MVR, please go to: http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue-MV/RMV/1186043480608. If you are unable to attach your MVR you may fax it to: 303-858-2086, Attention: CoC LSS-Hiring.
Environment varies and includes all settings in which participants spend time: apartments, homes, day sites, all-weather outdoor activities in the community, and warehouse settings that may be drafty, noisy, cramped as dictated by production needs, inconsistently climate controlled and/or odorous from various production activities.
The Good Stuff- Starting Salary
Here’s More About Us
Continuum of Colorado is a 501 (c)(3), nonprofit agency providing services to people with a wide range of disabilities. We are a commonly controlled entity of Developmental Pathways, a Community Centered Board that serves Arapahoe and Douglas Counties and the City of Aurora. Our Vision is to provide innovative and effective services characterized by self-direction, choice and respect for people with developmental disabilities and their families. Check us out at www.continuumofcolorado.org.