Full-Time Chief Medical Officer (CMO) – UNC Hospitals
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Chief Medical Officer (CMO) reports to the President of UNC Hospitals, and has a matrix reporting relationship to the Chief Medical Officer of UNC Health System. The CMO will, according to established policies and procedures, provide clinical leadership and strategic direction for inpatient and outpatient services of UNC Hospitals, lead all of faculty affairs and oversee the Graduate Medical Education program. The CMO will serve as a member of the hospital leadership team and a member of all Medical Staff committees, as appropriate. He/she will ensure
compliance with established corporate objectives and the provision of high quality, efficient clinical services. The CMO works through established lines of authority and responsibility ensuring and promoting high quality medical care. The CMO maintains a close working relationship with the President and senior executive staff of the hospital and of the Faculty Practice.
1. Management oversight and accountability of assigned hospital departments and services outlined above, including: Ensuring the goals and operating procedures of departments align with the priorities of UNC Hospitals; Planning and executing annual budgets and personnel management of assigned departments; Leading the Medical Staff Office, and in doing so, serving as the administrative liaison to the System Chief Medical Officer, School of Medicine department chairpersons and committee chairpersons, medical directors and assisting in managing Medical Staff affairs; Ensuring ongoing operational excellence within assigned hospital departments.
2. Provides oversight of hospital priveleging and credentialing to ensure all of the medical staff are in good standing. Leads the Professional Executive Committee, which ensures professionalism standards of medical staff are upheld and consistent with the values of UNC Health.
3. Internally promotes and evaluates UNC Hospitals’ compliance programs. Serves as a key a champion for compliance activities. Reviews internal compliance programs and identifies gaps or potential liabilities and works with leadership and the medical staff to address and correct issues.
4. Provide clinical leadership in Joint Commission (TJC) and other accreditation activities to ensure ongoing preparedness for TJC or other regulatory surveys; and serving as the principle clinical point person during on-site surveys.
5. Partners with University of North Carolina Health Care System’s Chief Medical Officer and Chief Medical Informatics Officer. Collaborates on system level initiatives. Participates with system clinical leadership such as CMO Roundtable and ISD Clinical Workgroups. Leads quality and performance improvement initiatives in partnership with the other key entity and System leaders. Supports transformational change using performance improvement methodologies. Supports in the development and implementation of appropriate clinical practice guidelines.
– Graduation from an accredited school of medicine.
– Board Certification Physician in a clinical discipline.
Professional Experience Requirements:
– Requires 12 years of progressive leadership and related experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
– Solves complex problems that may have a long-term impact on the business function/line of business.
– Develops innovative ideas and solutions with significance to the organization’s future.
– Identifies problem areas and skill gaps proactively and addresses them appropriately.
– Excellent project management and change management skills for designing and implementing Entity, Triangle, or System initiatives in a complex environment.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Directors Office
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email email@example.com if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To apply for this job, please go to: