Full-Time Chief Operating Officer (COO) – UNC Faculty Physicians
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Chief Operating Officer is the managerial position responsible for the overall operations of UNC Faculty Physicians (UNCFP). The COO reports directly to the President of UNC Faculty Physicians.
1. Promotes, reinforces and personally demonstrates the operating philosophy, mission and core values of UNC Health to all patients, medical staff members, coworkers, and the communities the health system serves.
2. Partners in a dyad relationship with the COO of UNC Hospitals to be jointly accountable for inpatient care and the extensive outpatient operations of the UNC Medical Center.
3. Works collaboratively with School of Medicine Department leaders (e.g. Chairs, Associate Chairs for Administration) and UNC Hospitals leadership to ensure a high quality and efficient clinical enterprise.
4. Assists the President of UNC Faculty Physicians in developing strategic plans designed to position UNCFP for sustained growth and a prosperous future.
5. Continues the development of a service-oriented organization which focuses top decile performance in quality/core measures and in patient, physician, and coworker satisfaction.
6. Ensures the organization achieves or exceeds its financial goals. Provides operational expertise to the UNC FP CFO and FP Finance Team to determine financial budget, resource allocation, and metrics for physician operations.
7. Cultivates productive relationships with the medical staff to establish the partnerships necessary for the organization to successfully respond to the challenges of health reform.
8. Supports and facilitates ongoing collaboration and alignment efforts within UNC Health.
9. Serves as representative on various committees, councils, and joint ventures for UNCFP. Serves as a visible, accessible and engaged leader to UNCFP’s 2,000+ co-workers.
10. Leads UNC FP efforts in evaluating and establishing alternative care models and entreptrenuerial enterprises.
11. Supports the education and research mission of the UNC School of Medicine.
– Master’s degree in healthcare management or business administration and/or MD, DO from an accredited university.
– Professional licensure preferred (MD, DO, RN, PharmD, etc.)
Professional Experience Requirements:
– Requires 12 years of progressively responsible experience, preferably in a multi-specialty physician practice or a complex healthcare setting, including ten (10) years of management experience. Experience within and/or in depth knowledge of academic medical practices would be valued.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
– Understands the overarching System operations and policies that guide the organization including the integration of a clinical practice in achieving the tripartite mission of UNC’s Academic Medical Center. Drives and develops innovative ideas and solutions with significance to the organization’s future. Identifies problem areas and skill gaps proactively and addresses them appropriately. Excellent project management and change management skills for designing and implementing high priority System or business group initiatives in a complex environment.
– Legal Employer: STATE
– Entity: UNC Faculty Physicians
– Organization Unit: UNCFP Operations
– Work Type: Full Time
– Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
– Work Schedule: Day Job
– Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
– Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
To apply for this position, please go to: