Full-Time Enterprise Innovation Consultant – UNC Health Enterprises
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
UNC Health is seeking exceptional candidates to join our UNC Health Enterprises team to drive innovation, transformation and business diversification efforts of the organization. This is a unique opportunity for a mission-driven individual to join a dynamic, collaborative, and fast-paced team environment. For this role, we are looking for candidates who are passionate about transforming a leading academic health system to position it for long-term success. You will bring creative and forward-thinking solutions to tackle todays most pressing health care issues and partner with thought leaders across the organization to develop novel solutions and new investment opportunities.
The Health Enterprises department houses our Center for Health Innovation and acts as an internal consulting group focused on accelerating innovation across UNC Health while also developing a portfolio of new businesses and strategic investments. The Health Enterprises team is part of UNC Health’s Transformation and Experience division – a group focused on transforming healthcare and achieving our vision and mission as One UNC Health.
The UNC Health Enterprises team is accountable for the end-to-end ownership of the innovation life cycle from initial due diligence to implementation and exit. This includes internal innovation efforts, external equity investments, spin-outs from internal core assets, or de novo builds. Our culture rewards team consensus along with individual courage and ownership to promote innovative thinking and consistent forward progress. This position will allow individuals with a customer-first mindset to develop a strong set of skills in strategy, innovation and product development while seeing a meaningful impact on the people we serve!
The Strategy Consultant plays a key role in supporting these activities under mentorship of the Executive Director of New Product Development. This position will utilize leadership skills collaborate with and advise system leaders at all levels of the organization including clinical and operational leadership, hospital executives, and others. Strategy Consultants should be able to complete many of the following tasks with the ability to gain the knowledge in due time to complete all of these tasks. Tasks include, but are not limited to, the following:
– Conduct in-depth and complex analysis on primary and secondary market research on customers, competitors and markets in order to tell a product-value story and develop business justification
– Complete and support due diligence activities including pro forma financial modeling, pricing analysis, quantitative and qualitative data analysis and investment return scenario analysis on target companies, new service lines, new businesses, and mergers & acquisitions
– Support the development of project assets by collaborating with stakeholders to align and refine business case inputs and models
– Adapt a variety of innovation-related critical thinking tools and frameworks (e.g., hypothesis-driven problem solving, blue ocean canvas, jobs to be done, innovation engineering)
– Research best-in-class consumer experiences and industry best practices, pain points, and lessons
– Research and synthesize the product offerings of incumbents and potential competitors
– Analyze ‘build’ vs. ‘buy/partner’ considerations for new and novel capabilities and monitor design and deployment of internally developed or externally sourced solutions
– Create digital or physical materials (i.e. wireframes, mockups, non-functional prototypes) to support research activities
– Contribute to the development, collection and monitoring of leading indicator product success metrics (i.e. tracking the top new entrants to the 300 health and medical mobile applications)
– Construct user and customer journey maps
– Deliver market intelligence and maintain constant knowledge of digital health ecosystem
– Track the execution against project milestones, plan, and overall strategy
– Masters degree or Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate discipline.
Professional Experience Requirements:
– If a Masters degree: One (1) year of relevant experience (e.g., finance, banking, business development, private equity, strategy or consulting).
– If a Bachelors degree: Two (2) years of relevant experience (e.g., finance, banking, business development, private equity, strategy or consulting) or one (1) year at a top tier consulting firm.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements
– Desired skills include excellent critical thinking, problem solving, relationship building, presenting and communicating skills, and the ability to function with limited guidance and be comfortable supporting projects both alone and in teams. The ideal candidate will have strong financial, project management, and change management skills, be analytically oriented, and be capable of translating analysis into storylines and narratives. This individual should be comfortable working both individually and collaboratively with teams to meet project deadlines and support strategic planning processes. Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills are necessary.
– Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
– Entity: Shared Services
– Organization Unit: UNC Health Enterprises
– Work Type: Full Time
– Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
– Work Schedule: Day Job
– Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
– Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
To apply for this position, please go to: