Full-Time Field Staff RN/Case Manager (Belleville, IL)
Southern Illinois and St. Louis Metro-East communities a range of services for people of all ages at the end of life. We have been providing compassionate care to terminally ill patients and their families in their home or a home-like setting since 1981. Since that time, we have continued our mission to enhance the quality of life for individuals and their loved ones touched by a terminal illness. Our reputation is a direct result of our desire to do more than what is required or expected. This can be seen in the passion and commitment of our employees and volunteers to provide excellent hospice care through all the services we provide. A career in hospice care at Hospice of Southern Illinois is a calling. Is it calling you? We are currently hiring for Field Staff Registered Nurse/Case Manager positions.
Summary of the Field Staff Registered Nurse (RN) Positions:
- The Field Staff RN/Case Manager is responsible for assessing the patient/family/caregiver needs, planning for the care, implementing the Plan of Care, and evaluating the effectiveness of the care provided. As a member of the IDT, the Field Staff Registered Nurse/Case Manager oversees the direction and coordination of a patient’s care throughout their time in hospice.
- We visit our patients wherever they may located, whether it be in their homes, long-term care facilities, nursing homes, hospitals, etc. As a result, driving and reliable transportation are requirements of the position.
- We have two open Field Staff RN positions. Both positions would be based out of our Belleville, IL office. The South Field Staff RN provide service to patients located in the following Illinois counties: St. Clair, Washington, Monroe, Perry, and Randolph. The North/South Field Staff RN would alternate providing service to the following counties: South-St. Clair, Washington, Monroe, Perry, and Randolph/North- Madison, Clinton, Bond, Montgomery, Macoupin, Jersey, and Calhoun.
- Full-Time Non-Exempt Position
- 40 Hours Weekly, Monday-Friday 8:30 A.M. – 5:00 P.M. with an additional rotational on-call schedule that includes some evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- For further information about our company and to apply online, please visit www.hospice.org/careers.
Position Requirements for the Field Staff Registered Nurse (RN) Position
- Graduate of State-approved school of nursing
- Associate Degree in Nursing or Diploma in Nursing required.
- One (1) year experience in hospice preferred.
- Current Illinois nursing license. (Registered Nurse, RN)
- Certification in hospice and palliative care preferred.
- CPR certification preferred.
- Excellent leadership, managerial ability, clinical assessment, organizational and interpersonal relationship skills.
- A working knowledge of Medicare/Medicaid, hospice regulations, and third-party payor expectations.
- Reliable means of transportation.
As an Illinois employer and healthcare organization, Hospice of Southern Illinois complies with all State and Federal regulations, including Illinois Executive Orders. As a result, we require COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment unless documentation of a medical or religious accommodation for review can be provided for review.
Physical Requirements: Performs repetitive tasks. Physical tasks including bathing, transferring, lifting, and turning of patients in the home or home-like setting. Prolonged periods of sitting at times. Exerts up to 100 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 lbs. frequently and/or 20 lbs. constantly. Requires physical flexibility of bending at knee and squat-bend. The Staff Registered Nurse manages stress appropriately, makes decisions under pressure, handles multiple priorities, works with an Interdisciplinary Team and manages anger/fear/hostility/violence of other appropriately. This position requires clarity of vision >20 inches and <20 feet, hears alarms, telephone/tape recorder.
Working Conditions: The Staff Registered Nurse/Case Manager spends approximately 20% of his/her time in an air-conditioned environment with varying exposure to excessive humidity and noise. The remaining 80% of his/her time is spent in an automobile or patient home, which may or may not have heat/air conditioning. The position has potential for exposure to malodorous odors, infectious body fluids from patients, animal pet hair, allergens in the home environment, some exposure to noxious smells from cleansing agents, and exposure to communicable diseases and traffic.
Essential Functions of the Field Staff Registered Nurse (RN) Position
- Maintains a caseload of patients. Oversees the direction and coordination of the patient’s care and the care provided for their caregiver/family.
- Provides direct patient care that includes all aspects of the nursing process.
- Demonstrates basic registered nurse clinical skills. Gives a practical exhibition and explanation at the required annual skills day.
- On each visit completes a physical assessment, medication review, and a symptom and pain evaluation. Communicates findings to the hospice physician and obtains orders to manage care.
- Communicates pertinent information to all disciplines by communicator, telephone, TigerText, and at the IDT meeting.
- Reviews and updates the Plan of Care (POC) on each visit.
- Responsible for initiating the Hospice Aide (HA) POC and supervising visits at least every 14 days per Medicare regulation.
- Knowledgeable in patterns of disease progression at end of life and provides ongoing patient/family/caregiver education.
- Knowledgeable in principles of end of life pain and symptom management. Considers patient/family/caregiver stated values and goals when considering treatment options ensuring their patients are as pain-free and symptom-free as possible.
- Identifies the physical, psychosocial, emotional, and spiritual needs related to the terminal illness. Collaborates with IDT to meet those needs.
- Documents the elements of each assessment in a systematic and timely manner according to the Policies and Standards of Performance.
- Oversees the activity of the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) as they provide patient care.
- Participate in on-call after-hour care. In the on-call role, the Staff Registered Nurse/Case Manager triages calls and demonstrates critical thinking skills as they prioritize and address each situation.
- In an emergency/crisis event, the Staff Registered Nurse/Case Manager demonstrates the ability to take control of a situation, understands and prioritizes care needs, and executes a plan quickly.
- Provides emotional, spiritual, and psychosocial support to patients/family/caregivers. Establishes a therapeutic relationship with the patient/family/caregiver.
- At the IDT meeting, at least every 15 days, the Staff Registered Nurse/Case Manager shares new information concerning the patient’s disease progression, discuss how to further improve the patient’s quality of life and comfort, and ensures that the care plan is consistent with the patient’s end of life core wishes.
- Demonstrates the ability to work cooperatively with others in a team environment to ensure deadlines, goals, and objectives are met.
- Demonstrates the ability to embrace change, manage stress and maintain a positive attitude.
- Builds relationships and collaborates effectively with internal and external customers while cultivating referrals and referral sources. Identifies and analyzes problems in the referral/admission process and offers solutions for better customer service and satisfaction. Participates in QAPI activities.
- Organized and works efficiently with minimal supervision. Is a self-starter who demonstrates flexibility, motivation, initiative, and commitment. Ensures required assigned education is finished in the specified time.
- Identifies and contributes to the development of new ideas and approaches to improve the work process.
- Exemplifies Hospice of Southern Illinois core values in daily practice.
- Appropriately manages Paid Time Off.
- Timely and accurate timesheet documentation according to Policy and Standards of Performance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Insurance and Benefit Information for the Field Staff Registered Nurse (RN) Position:
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Extended Illness Benefits (EIB)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Healthcare Medical Insurance. Company pays 90% of the employee’s health insurance premiums and contributes 15% towards the health insurance premiums for spouses or children.
- FLEX Spending/FSA for Traditional PPO Health Insurance Plans
- HSAs for High Deductible Health Insurance Plans with an employer contribution
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Dental Insurance
- Monthly Cell Phone Allowance
- Mileage Reimbursement of .56 cents per mile
- VSP Vision Insurance
- 403(b) Retirement Plan with a company match up to 3% in 2022.
- Mutual of Omaha Basic Life and AD&D insurance (Paid for by the company)
- Mutual of Omaha Voluntary Supplemental Life Insurance for the employee, spouse, or children
- Mutual of Omaha Short-Term Disability
- Mutual of Omaha Long-Term Disability (Paid for by the company)
- Employee Assistance Program from Mine & Associates
- Tuition Reimbursement of $3,500 after one year of employment for approved courses
- McKendree University 10% Tuition Discount
- Recruitment Referral Reward Program
- Discounts from select companies (auto, cellphone, etc.)
- Earn Burgundy Bucks which can be spent on items such as clothing and services in the Employee Portal
- Wellness Reimbursement of $100 annually for gym memberships, marathons, and weight loss programs